Welcome to the last Sunday in June. The Fourth of July is this week and if you are planning any events, be sure to stock up for them. We are having perfect weather for grilling so check out the items in Meats, Poultry and Vegetables that will be good cooked on the grill.
Special Note to Nashville customers:
Deliveries will be normal this week. There will be no deliveries next week, July 10.
Did you try the samples we had a Market pick up last week? I want to thank Loraine with Casa Segovia-Paz and Carol with Carol’s Vibration Cooking for providing the tasty treats last week.
Erdmann Farm intoduces a new cut flower – Lisianthus – to the Market. Microgreens are back. This time from Kelly Creek Farm. They have several different varieties. Rocky Glade Farm returns this week with their list of produce including a new product – bulb fennel.
New from JENuine Health by Chef Jenny:
Early Bird Mix
The Early Bird Mix is a great treat to enjoy with your morning coffee or tea. The flavors of a danish are artfully packaged into a bag of seeds with almonds, apricots, agave, morning spice and a hint of orange.
Try it on:
Bagels with cream cheese
Toast with apricot jam
News from Linda with Dogwood Valley Greenhouse:
Dogwood Valley Greenhouse has updated availability of their perennials and herbs on the market, including the addition of several types of lavenders. It’s still fine to plant if you take care to water new transplants frequently and deeply.
There are plenty of other products available this week. Browse the categories to see what your will find.
Thanks so much for your support of Stones River Market, all of our growers, local food, and our rights to eat it. We’ll see you on Wednesday at Southern Stained Glass at 310 West Main Street from 5:00 to 6: 30 pm!
Please, share your recipes with us on the Recipes tab. We’d all love to know how you use your Stones River Market products, so we can try it too! I am taking a break from recipes this week. If you have created a dish and want to share with everyone, please send it to me.
Our recipe this week is from Chef Jenny with JENuineHealth. The peppery arugula, sweet fruit, creamy goat cheese, and lemon vinaigrette make this a real crowd pleaser. It’s a great festive salad to serve on the Fourth of July!
Red, White, & Blue Salad
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup olive oil
3 tbsp lemon, juice
2 tbsp agave or honey
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp poppy seeds
1 4 oz pkg goat cheese log, sliced into 8 slices *See Tips below.
1 cup panko bread crumbs or whole wheat bread crumbs
- olive oil, enough to line the bottom of your small fry pan
1 pkg arugula or mixed greens
1/2 cup mint, fresh, removed from stems
1 cup sprouts
4 small pears, unpeeled, seeded, cored, and sliced lengthwise in wedges
2 cups watermelon, large cubes
1 cup blueberries
1 pkg sprouts
2 pkgs Seeds of Success, Sweet & Salty
1. *See Tips below for how to slice the goat cheese. Make sure the goat cheese is cold when you slice it. It may help to put it in the freezer for a couple minutes before you slice it.
2. Whisk egg in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Dip one goat cheese coin at a time in the beaten egg, and then coat it with the crumbs. Place it on a plate. Follow same procedure for the other 7 goat cheese medallions.
4. Place the plate of medallions in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up before frying.
5. Combine olive oil, lemon juice, agave, mustard, salt, and poppy seeds in another small bowl. Whisk and set in the refrigerator.
6. Cover the bottom of a small non-stick fry pan with 1/4" of olive oil. Heat to medium. Gently fry two – three goat cheese medallions at a time. Remove and set on paper towels.
7. Combine the arugula, mint leaves, and sprouts together. Line each plate with the greens mixture.
8. Place 2 goat cheese medallions in the center of each bed of greens.
9. Arrange the pears, watermelon, and blueberries around the goat cheese medallions.
10. Sprinkle nuts over top and drizzle with the vinaigrette.
1. Use a piece of dental flows to cut the goat cheese log into smooth circles. This is a tip I learned in culinary school.
2. You can use 2 packages of goat cheese if you want 4 goat cheese medallions per person.
3. If watermelon is not your thing, you can use strawberries instead.
4. Non-Vegetarian Option – Serve your favorite white fish on the side drizzled with the lemon vinaigrette.