This is the new recipes section for Stones River Market.
Recipes are being added on a regular basis. If you find a particularly good recipe, comments are appreciated.
Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Chicken Soup with Baby Bok Choy
Source: Entered by Kathleen Ferris. Recipe from my friend Sima. (Entered by Kathleen and Ken Ferris)
This is a variation of my standard chicken soup recipe with baby Bok Choy added at the end. I make large batches of soup and freeze it for future use. Makes a quick and nourishing meal when I don’t have time to cook.
Other variations of this soup: 1) omit bok choy and sdd 2 cups of peeled tomatoes, 1 chopped green pepper, and 2 or 3 cups of sliced okra.
2) Same as variation 1, but substitute chunks of zuccini and yellow squash for Okra.
Step by Step Instructions
- Bring water to boil and add chicken parts, onion, about 2 tsp salt and a bit of black pepper. Simmer for hours. I let it cook overnight.
- Strain out chicken and bones and return broth to pot. Optional: if you want pieces of chicken in your soup, add a couple of meaty pieces now. Cook about 30 min. at simmer before adding rice and vegetables.
- Add brown rice and bring to simmer, then add carrots and celery. Cook on low heat for about 45 min to 1 hour, until rice is becoming tender.
- Add bok choy and adjust salt and pepper to taste. Simmer until greens are tender.
Comments added by fellow market members.
Another delicious variation of this soup is to substitute green beans and snap peas for the green vegetable and to add a large bunch of chopped cilantro leaves just before turning off the heat.