This is the new recipes section for Stones River Market.
Recipes are being added on a regular basis. If you find a particularly good recipe, comments are appreciated.
Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Cajun Chicken and Okra
Source: I created this to find another use for okra, which I love. (Entered by Kathleen Ferris)
I created this meal-in-a-dish recipe many years ago, before I left Louisiana. To the chicken recipe that my mother and grandmother made, which they called “smothered chicken,” I added sliced okra, chopped tomatoes and green pepper and optionally, a serrano hot pepper.
Serves: 4 hungry Jacks, 6 moderately hungry
Step by Step Instructions
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper to taste. c 1 tsp. salt.
- Heat oil in large skillet and saute chicken until lightly browned.
- To the skillet, add onion and cook until translucent. Add peppers and cook briefly. Add okra and saute about 10 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes.
- Lower heat, DO NOT ADD WATER, cover and allow chicken and vegetables to cook in their own juices until chicken is cooked through. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice, either white or brown.
Comments added by fellow market members.