This is the new recipes section for Stones River Market.
Recipes are being added on a regular basis. If you find a particularly good recipe, comments are appreciated.
Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Beef Stuffed Zucchini
Source: Kathy Ferris (Entered by Kathleen and Ken Ferris)
Very large zucchini don’t look very appetizing, but they can be delicious if stuffed with meat and veggies.
Serves: about 6
Step by Step Instructions
- Heat oven to 350. Slice zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and discard. With a small paring knife, enlarge the cavity of the zucchini, scooping out some of the flesh but leaving a solid shell
- Place zucchini face down on shallow pan, adding enough hot water to steam it in oven. Bake about 30 minutes until softens.
- In large pan, brown ground beef in oil, add onion and 1/2 tsp. salt. Saute briefly and add flesh of zucchini. Cook briefly and add peppers and cook a few minutes more. Add eggplant and saute on medium, then lower heat and cook until eggplant is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add mushrooms and cook until softened. Add about 1/2 tsp. salt and black pepper. Add seasonings to taste. Add green onion and parsley and cook a minute or two more.
- Remove zucchini shells from oven. Turn over on pan and fill with beef mixture. Top with bread crumbs. Return to oven and bake about 20 minutes more, until bread crumbs are toasted.
Comments added by fellow market members.