This is the new recipes section for Stones River Market.
Recipes are being added on a regular basis. If you find a particularly good recipe, comments are appreciated.
Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Fried Stuffed Mushrooms
Source: Aunt D's Kitchen - http://auntdskitchen.blogspot.com (Entered by John Erdmann)
This recipe is from a friend of mine that is passionate for cooking. You can follow her at http://auntdskitchen.blogspot.com
Serves: Serve as an appetizer
Step by Step Instructions
- Before you get started on the ‘shrooms, go ahead and make your dip. Use about a cup of mayo, 2 or 3 tablespoons of horseradish, a small spoonful of sour cream and the splash of hot sauce. These measurements are extremely approximate. With that said, I would recommend starting with a small amount of horseradish and adding more to taste.
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan or deep fryer. The oil needs to be very hot.
- Beat the two eggs in a bowl and set them aside. Combine enough flour and bread crumbs to cover the number of mushrooms that you have.
- Combine the cream cheese, bacon (well crumbled, of course), garlic powder, onion powder and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl. Blend well with a fork. You can even do this step a day ahead and keep the mixture in a covered bowl overnight in the fridge.
- Rinse the mushrooms in cool water and place them on a paper towel to dry. Remove the stems by carefully snapping them off. If you do it correctly, you’ll have a perfect little hole under the mushroom cap where the stuffing goes. If the stems don’t snap off perfectly, use a small knife to carve out the rest. Just be careful not to dig all the way through the mushroom.
- Fill the hole in the mushroom with the cream cheese mixture. Dip the filled mushroom caps into the egg and roll them around until they are completely covered. Next, roll them in the mixture of flour and bread crumbs until they are completely covered. Drop the breaded mushrooms into the hot grease and allow them to cook for 2 to 3 minutes. You may need to turn them upside down for another minute before removing them from the grease so that they brown on all side.
- Remove the mushrooms to a plate lined with a paper towel. Serve immediately with horseradish dip.
Comments added by fellow market members.