This is the new recipes section for Stones River Market.
Recipes are being added on a regular basis. If you find a particularly good recipe, comments are appreciated.
Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Kale Soup (Caldo Verde)
Source: The Ultimate Pressure Cooker Cookbook, p.54 (Entered by Kathleen and Ken Ferris)
I first encountered a recipe similar to this called Caldo Gallego in The Ultimate Pressure Cooker by Tom Lacalamita. However that recipe was Spanish. I have made enough changes in the recipe that I consider this version my own. It is a hearty, nourishing soup that is delicious any time of the year. My understanding is that it is the national dish of Portugal.
Serves: Six or more
Step by Step Instructions
- Wash and slice potatoes thinly, skin and all. Set aside.
- In deep pot, heat olive oil. Saute chopped onion or sliced leeks (or a combination) lightly. Add minced garlic, then add thinly sliced potatoes. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Lower heat and add kale. Stir constantly until kale wilts.
- Add broth or water to cover vegetables. Slowly bring to a boil and cook until almost done.
- Add meat (cooked ham, sausage or prosciutto) and cooked beans. Adjust salt and pepper seasonings. Heat through and serve.
Comments added by fellow market members.