This is the new recipes section for Stones River Market.
Recipes are being added on a regular basis. If you find a particularly good recipe, comments are appreciated.
Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Bread and Butter Pickles
Source: Not sure where this came from back then. (Entered by John Erdmann)
This recipe was first posted to the Market in 2009 for those that like bread and butter pickles.
Serves: Multiple Jars
Step by Step Instructions
- Combine cucumbers, onions, salt and ice in a large bowl.
- Mix well.
- Put a weight on and allow to stand 3 hours. (For a weight, I use a plate with a gallon bottle of vinegar or water on top of it).
- Drain thoroughly.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, turmeric, celery seed and mustard seed in a large pot.
- Add drained cucumbers.
- Place pot on medium low heat. Bring almost to a boil, but DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL.
- Remove from heat. Seal in sterilized jars, 10 minutes in a hot water bath.
- Easy way to sterilize jars: Wash them well in hot soapy water. Dry them off. Put on a cookie sheet, right side up, at 225°F for 15 minutes. Turn off oven and leave them in there until you need them.
Comments added by fellow market members.
Recipe corrected today. Missed the sugar. Oops.